Friday, January 3, 2014

November 21st, 2014 (Deliberate Practice Defined and 4 Components of Our Composition)-- The Fearless Mind

REMINDER: This is the LAST week of "Required Responses" as moratorium begins next week. If you want ANY points made up for Term 3, you have until FRIDAY to make these up! We will begin "Required Responses" again in January. 

Only respond to the "response question" in the "Comments" section of the blog! The other information included in the post (quotes, questions to think about) should help guide your answers. Included are things that stood out to me and questions that I think will help you in your process of developing a fearless mind. 

RESPONSE QUESTIONS: 

1. What might a deliberate practice look like? What efforts can you make to help ensure that we have deliberate practices?
2. Using the following quote, explain the quote's meaning as well as the importance of the meaning: "Once a clear objective is determined, the negative, self-destructive cycle is quickly broken, and the result is lowered anxiety, greater focus, confidence, and better decision making" (17-18).
3. What was one quote you liked and one thing you learned from the chapter, 4 Components of our Composition? 

Deliberate Practice Defined

"Deliberate practice is activity that does the following: 1) Is explicitly intended to improve performance 2) Reaches for objectives just beyond one's level of competence 3) Provides feedback on results 4) Involves high levels of repetition"  (13).

"Channel our mental energies toward objectives that we have direct control over, which in turn builds confidence and feelings of empowerment"  (13).

"We are always striving to get better, to grow.... Providing feedback allows people to take responsibility for their own growth. Feedback is used to evaluate which skill sets are contributing to improved performance and what skill sets need to be isolated for continued improvement" (14).

"When we channel our energy in a deliberate way, it is possible to achieve almost anything.... Continually observing results and making appropriate adjustments, and doing that daily-- that's deliberate practice" (14).

"The structured Mental Skills Journal that I require my clients to use forces them to write down three things they did well in short, concise detail. By doing this, they are attending to the details of their accomplishments" (15).

QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT: We always set goals/objectives before games. Why is it important to set objectives before practicing? How might incorporating a Mental Skills Journal be of use to you as a softball player?
  
4 Components of Our Composition

*** I LOVE THIS CHAPTER! Thus, so many quotes! :)***

"Once a clear objective is determined, the negative, self-destructive cycle is quickly broken, and the result is lowered anxiety, greater focus, confidence, and better decision making" (17-18).

"If we don't have a direction to channel our energy toward, it is easy to focus too much on what is wrong-- what is wrong with ourselves or what is wrong with the world.... The emotional side consists of our passions and desires that give us the energy to go after our objectives" (18).

"When our emotions are channeled in constructive ways, we become formidable at achieving whatever skill sets we focus on. Controlling emotions provides an individual with the ability to think rationally and reasonably, increasing the ability to learn from live events and perpetuate growth; hence, emotional energy is needed to get things done. However, when there is an overabundance of emotional energy, it can cause destructive behavior as well" (19).

"When we lose control of our emotions we aren't thinking anymore; we are worrying. When we worry, our minds race, attending to events that occured in the past and then jumping to events that might occur in the future. When we allow our minds to do this, we unwittingly perpetuate feelings of guilt and fear that inhibit our thought processes and restrict our decision making abilities" (19).

"Guilt and fear don't exist in reality; they are created in our minds and exist in the abstract" (19). 

"When we worry, our minds are not paying attention to the reality of the moment, and making good decisions can be very difficult, since important information is not being recognized and considered within our thought processes. When we are in the present important information is recognized and processed-- we call this thinking. Controlling our emotions perpetuates thinking and lessens worrying" (19).

"Here is an example of how not controlling our emotions may play out. Say an individual makes a mental mistake-- as we all do every day at some point. It's not a big deal the majority of the time. However, many of us become irritated by our mistakes and let our emotions spiral out of control, allowing that irritation to turn into frustration or even anger. Once we are in the anger stage of a self-destructive cycle, we are more likely to make numerous mistakes, compounding the mental mistake and digging a hole for ourselves that didn't have to be anywhere near as deep as it is" (19).

"Just as it takes hard work and a lot of practice to develop the muscle memory to execute a certain skill, it takes hard work and a lot of practice to learn how to think in an effective, productive, fearless way" (20). 

"The physical side does what the mind tells it to do. The more consistent and efficient our commands are, the swifter and more automatically the physical side reacts to mental commands" (21).

"We reach our greatest potential [when] motivation is high, anxiety is low, concentration is enhanced, confidence is heightened, and decision-making is improved" (21). 

QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT: Why is developing a proper mentality crucial to being successful? Is "not controlling our emotions" a productive pattern? Why do we let our mistakes and emotions spiral out of control? How can we eliminate this from happening? 

16 comments:

  1. At a deliberate practice everyone would be working hard at the task at hand whether it was shagging hitting fielding or running. If someone made a mistake everyone would have their back and they would evaluate their performance and set goals for higher achievement. Everyone would listen to the coaches and not only listen but apply what they said. Everyone would be doing reps with a purpose, not just to hit or to field but to have a specific problem to work on and evaluate. To make my practices more deliberate I can make goals before each practice. I can instead of getting down on myself for not doing so well I can set new objectives to complete and continually achieve and set new ones. I can also work harder on shagging and staying productive.
    The quote means that when we are focused on a task instead of our past we can control our energy into something that will improve performance instead of dwell on the past. It also means when we have a positive objective we can preform at a higher level because we are not worrying about the future or dwelling on the past causing more confidence and more concentration on the present. It is important to apply the quote and its meaning so we can preform better and constantly improve and set new goals. But, not just goals but achievable objectives such as I want to keep my hands high and my bat level instead of I have to get a hit so I don't let down my team.
    I like this quote "if we don't have a direction to channel our energy toward, it is easy to focus too much on what is wrong." When we only focus on what is wrong and not what can I do to fix it we fall into destructive cycles and make no if less improvement. When we focus on what is wrong we constantly tell ourselves "I suck, why do I even try." Without a purpose we will only feel worse about ourselves and perform worse than expected. One thing I learned from the chapter is to not live in fear and guilt. I am guilty of thinking what if this girl gets a homerun and scores three runs and beats us. Or if so and so doesn't get a hit that no one will score and we will lose. Or I can't believe I swung at that horrible pitch or why didn't I block that last pitch then that girls wouldn't have scored and they should have put someone else in because I suck. NO if I sucked I would never be here!! We have to have confidence in the present and know that we will do our best and so will everyone else and if they drop a ball or miss pitch that I will have their back and that its ok. We need to know that we can not fix the past and the only way to change the future is to do your best now and if i doesn't work out know it's ok, life goes on. When we focus on guilt and fear we don't have full control of the present and can't do our best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A deliberate practice would be everyone working hard at something that they want. Not only what they want but to help others out too! Some efforts you can do to have a deliberate practice would be focusing on what you want to get better at. Also fixing it. To help others its little things if someone wants to work on their hitting you can shag the balls but work on what you want to work on two. So you are pretty much killing two birds with one stone. The meaning of the quote is if we have a certain goal you can't think of the past and sat what if this happens again. You have to have confidence and gave that positive attitude for you to accomplish that goal. The importance is to don't think about your past the past is the past think about today and have the confidence in yourself and not only yourself your team too. One quote I liked was "when we loose control of our emotions, we aren't thinking anymore; we are worrying." I learned that personally I need to put my energy towards the next play and not dwell on my last play that I made a mistake. Just leave it behind and flush it down the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deliberate practice is everyone hustling and having fun. I think sometimes we try to have a "perfect practice" but there is no such thing. As long as everyone's working and hustling practice is great.
    Once you put your mind to something you can achieve anything
    Guilt and fear don't exist in reality. They are created in our minds and exist in the abstract.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. A deliberate practice would be a practice of everyone striving to get better, and work harder. Everyone would give 100% to every practice, and have something specific to work on each day. If someone makes a mistake they should be able to learn and grow from it, and try to prevent it from happening again. A deliberate practice would be a fun environment where everyone is helping each other to get better.
    2. I like this quote a lot. This quote means that if you truly have your mind set on something nothing will be able to get in your way of achieving it. It's important to have a clear objective so that you are able to lower your anxiety, have a greater focus, confidence, and easier decision making".
    3."In order to reach our greatest potential, we need to stop fighting with ourselves and consolidate our energy for the purpose of achieving whatever it is we chose." I like this quote a lot because it reminds me that I need to be fully focused if I want to be able to achieve something great. I learned through this chapter of how important it is to practice and maintain a high performance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. -I think a deliberate practice would look like every one trying to achieve their goals. They're working hard, sweating and everyone giving a 110%. Maybe even more. The players try to improve on the things that need improvement and when they make a mistake they shake it off and try harder to accomplish what they messed up on.
    -That is a really good quote. I think what that quote means, at least to me is, that set goals to push yourself and have a clear goal. Not something vague. Have a clear goal and work toward it. Have confidence in yourself and set your mind on accomplishing that one thing. I don't know its kind of jumbled up.
    -"When we worry, our minds are not paying attention to the reality of the moment..." I like this quote because its saying that when you worry you don't process the same way as someone who has confidence in themselves. You worry about what if I don't make a good play what if I make a mistake. You are so worried about what might go wrong, when instead you should be seeing what could go amazing! You could throw a girl out at home, you could catch the winning hit and get someone out. I just think it is important to focus on the positive. And stop worrying. And what I learn in this chapter is to not worry and to work hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Deliberate practice is showing respect to your team and coaches, almost all business;). Sometimes we need to remember that practice is where we get better, and is not just a place we get together to talk because we are already good at that. 2. I think it's means that the smaller objectives become successes because there is a clear purpose. It is important because then we can see that it is attainable. 3. I really like how he talks about how emotions are important. My favorite quote is: "When our emotions are channeled in constructive ways, we become formidable at achieving whatever skill sets we focus on." I really like how is says channel, not control, because "controlling" can become overwhelming. I think of Elsa having a battle within herself over control. I learned it doesn't need to be hard to have high performance and the steps are simpler than you'd think. Overthinking is where we typically run into trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A deliberate practice is everyone working hard and starting to be their best and having fun and getting everything done and being fast and efficient.once you have your mind set, then nothing can stand in your way and you will know what you want to achieve and you will make it happen. I love the quote "when we worry, our minds are not paying attention to the reality of the moment..." I like this because when we are worried about something we tend to start freaking out and not focusing and we lose sight of what is really going on and if we stay calm and focused then we keep the situation under control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1, I think a deliberate practice would look like everyone being focused and putting in the full effort into what they are doing. I don't think it means you can't have fun doing it, but I think a deliberate practice would be having fun without screwing off. I like how in the book it said how it requires high levels of repetition. I agree that if we know what we need to work on we can practice it over and over again to get it right. I think that is a good way of having an effective practice. What I can do to help make a deliberate practice is not only work on things I need to work on but be a team player and help other people work so we can all improve.
    2. I really like this quote. To me I think it means forget about the past and make goals for the future. Know what you want to do, and work hard on it. If you know what you want to do and are willing to work for it, nothing can stop you. I think this part of the reading also ties along with last weeks chapters.
    3. "Guilt and fear don't exist in reality; they are created in our minds and exist in the abstract" (19). I really liked this quote a lot! I think it's so true and I know it happens to me. Having guilt and fear aren't just something that happen randomly, it is made by the way your brain reacts to a situation. I think learning how to control our minds to make them become fearless is a hard thing to do but could make life a lot easier at times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. A deliberate practice would be where everyone is working hard and staying focused in order to improve. One way to help have a deliberate practice would be to make sure everyone is focused, working hard, working as a team, and having fun!
    2. This is a really great quote. It's saying that once we have the right mind set and have a fearless mind, accomplishing goals will be much easier. To me, it also says that if you want something, you have to put your whole heart and mind into it. You can't go into a task half-heartedly and expect great results. If you want something accomplished, you have to give it your all.
    3. "When we lose control of our emotions, we aren't thinking anymore; we are worrying." I really like that because sometimes I have a hard time getting into the right mind set. I do this with basketball too. A lot of times I will psych myself out, or think a little TOO much about something, and that's when I start to worry. And when I worry, I mess up. This quote helps me realize that I just need to go out and play my game and not think too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To me, a dilberate practice is when you're hustling everywhere you're going. You take the practice seriously and know what you need to work on. You go to practice knowing and wanting to improve at practice.
    When you have a goal that you want so bad, you'll do anything to reach it. That means that you have the confidence to get it done. When you have confidence, it helps you reach your goals and when you're confident on what you're doing, that's when the fear and anxiety dissappear.
    I also like the quote, “ When we lose control of our emotions, we aren't thinking anymore; we're worrying. This quote means something to me because controlling my emotions is something I've had to learn how to do and I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I think a delibrete practice is when you have a goal in mind to accomplish for that day, and you work hard to accomplish it. I think that that's what we should do at our practices, to set a goal each day.
    2. as soon as you have a purpose you are able to accomplish more. I think this is very good because if you have nothing to accomplish you would lose the will power to live and to improve in you life.
    3. "We reach our greatest potential [when] motivation is high, anxiety is low, concentration is enhanced, confidence is heightened, and decision-making is improved" (21). I like how this tied in the other chapters. I learned that we need to always have a goal in mind or else our bodies and minds will think that there is no point in doing something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To have a good deliberated practice you need a few things. The main things that you need are a plan and focus, some of the more minor things that you need to be successful are fun and discipline. When you add fun in it is very easy to get off topic, but when you add the discipline in it balances it out and you get the focus that you need to have a good productive deliberate practice. One thing that i can do as in individual to contribute to a good productive practice is for me to stay focused and on task, so hopefully others will get the message and follow along with what i'm doing. To me that quote means that once you have your mind set on something, you should stick to it. You should be strong and not let anyone or anything ruin or change what you have your mind set on. My favorite quote from this section of the reading is: "Some choose not to listen to their spiritual side and hence don't develop a deep sense of trust and confidence in themselves, often resulting in living a purposeless, aimless, meaningless life." I like this quote a lot for many reasons. The main reason that i really like this quote a lot is because it says that no matter how much you think that you don't need you spiritual life you really do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A deliberate practice would be everyone focused and working hard but also having fun. We would have a goal in mind to achieve that day at practice. Like Addison said, there is no perfect practice though so we would strive for a different goal. A deliberate practice would be everyone hustling and doing their best at everything, even shagging.
    I think that quote means that once we set a goal we know we can achieve, we forget about the past and channel all of our energy into that one goal. It's like a brand new slate so we can forget everything and focus on the present.
    "We are always striving to get better, to grow.... Providing feedback allows people to take responsibility for their own growth. Feedback is used to evaluate which skill sets are contributing to improved performance and what skill sets need to be isolated for continued improvement" I like this because it shows that we are responsible for how we progress or stay the same. When someone gives us feedback, we are responsible to take the initiative and listen to what they said and get better. I also like it because what we say to our teammates and what our coaches say to us and others say to us really does have an impact so we should try to be positive and not mean and just lift each other up and make sure our feedback is something that will help improve that person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think a delbriate practice is us going into every practice with a purpose, a goal in mind that we want to achieve everyday. It doesn't have to be a team goal but us personally should be going into every practice with something we want to accomplish and working hard to accomplish it. I like how he said in the book that we need to try to do things that are not out of are hand. Things that we can control the out come of them. I think that quote ties into that. In trying to say once you make up your mind that you are going to achieve that one thing that nothing is going to stop you from Nervs, to fear to anxiety. Nothing will stand in your way from getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. to me, having a deliberate practice is working hard and getting what we need done, but always enjoying it and having a good time with it. Its putting your mind to something you love to do. i think the quote means we focus on whats in front of us, instead of what is behind us. I really like the quote because it is so so true. once we realize that we all make mistakes and that non of us are perfect, we start to let go of the fear of messing up and making a mistake and we play like we know how to play. all that fear and anxiety goes away and you know that nothing can stop you, not even a little mistake. Its a good mindset to have especially in close games, because one play can make or break that game for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having a deliberate practice means to actually work on things that need to be worked on and not just go through the motions of what you already know how to do. The quote means to constantly work on things to progress as a person. Freeman Stated that , " When our emotions are channeled in constructive ways, we become formidable at achieving whatever skill sets we focus on… Controlling our emotions perpetuates thinking and lessens worrying"(Freeman P.18). i like that alot. its pretty kewl

    ReplyDelete